got me in and out of a doctor's appointment in 20 minutes (when I'd planned for 90) so I ran home and dyed Ruby's new sweater. And. It's. Perfect.
I used two packets of dye, and dipped the whole sweater in for a few minutes, then gradually pulled it out. I'd wring it out and dip the bottom in again and again. Finally I rinsed it and tossed it in the spin cycle and when it came out... it was exactly what I was hoping for. Swoon. It still needs buttons and it's going to take 40 years to dry in this wet weather, but as soon as it is I'll ask coerce force Ruby to try it on for a photo shoot.
I love it when things turn out just as I picture them!