We're Compacting in 2007! What does this mean? We pledge to curb our purchases, cease frivolous buying, and choose to simplify our lives.
To be mindful consumers. To avoid purchasing new items as much as possible (see exceptions below). When an item is needed, we'll search high and low to find it gently used or make it ourselves before resorting to buying new. When we do choose to purchase a new item, we will buy high quality, and free trade, fair wages instead of purchasing the cheapest thing we can find.
We hope to decrease our footprint on the planet and instill in Ruby the value of humanity and the earth, not just the almighty dollar.
We hope to change our own thoughts around what is a NEED and what is a WANT, and to simplify our lives. By clearing the clutter in our homes and minds, we can be more open to experiencing life around us.
To funnel all savings into a fund to put towards the future AND to live for today in the true sense of the words, to truly ENJOY and respect the world around us. ( some people in the compact quit eating out and traveling. These are important times for our family to spend together, we chose to eat out at a locally owned restaurant once or twice a month and it doesn't negatively impact our finances. Travel, well heck, thats just part of enjoying life, isn't it?)
- food, health & safety items, shoes and under wear. Food, health and safety, of course, but as we choose to purchase good quality shoes that last a long time, and only buy shoes once every year or so, shoes are an exception. Underwear - well, duh. Other items may end up being purchased new, but only after exhausting other options.
- home improvement. We may be refinishing the basement this year - and can obtain some items used, but for safety reasons, will buy new items for remodeling.
- crafts. I will try my hardest to knit up my entire stash of yarn (or give it away) and only purchase new yarn for a specific project. Same goes for fabric. :gulp:Of course I'll look for these thing thrifted also!
- We aren't limiting gifts to gently used/home made, but appreciate any efforts others go through to help decrease their own foot print on the earth. we are also lucky that many family members choose to buy simple gifts for Ruby and put the rest into a savings account. We're lucky that way.
- When an item must be purchased we will try to shop locally, and at responsible businesses.
So. there it is. in black and white (or brown and green)... We're gonna do our best, and hopefully learn something along the way.