I won't lie to you. Things have been tough lately. The economy is rough, and running your own business in an crap economy is trying. My wonderful husband is stressed beyond his limits with work, yet soldiers on as everyone does, because he is grateful he has a job. My dear sweetest Ruby is almost three and clearly has a language learning delay, and as a mother this is the hardest thing I've yet to face. I may blog about that some other time, but for now I will say just that.
- 2-3 weeks of mind numbing and crazy making birth control pills to down regulate your ovaries.
- 10-14 days of 2-3 shots a day in the abdomen (sub-cutaneous for those who like big words) to stimulate your ovaries to produce multiple eggs. I was a lucky one who's ovaries swelled up to the size of grapefruits and made it feel like my insides were going to fall out of my vagina. (yeah, try to get that image out of your mind now!)
- Egg retrieval - aka transvaginal oocyte retrival. yeah. they (thankfully) knock you out (yay versied!)and stick a very long needle.... yeah. thats all I want to say. ::shudder::
- Then you wait a day while they fertilize the eggs with your partners sperm (or whomever's sperm you'd like) either by dimming the lights in the petrie dish room, or IntraCytoplasmic Sperm Injection if you have male factor infertility, and a few extra thousand dollars.
- More waiting, while you hope and pray your fertilized eggs divide and multiply.
- After a few days (3 or 5 depending on your age and embryo quality) they dope you up on valium, and pop a couple of those puppies back up in there and you pray for implantation, aka pregnancy. All the while getting a 3 inch needle in the butt cheek each night filled with more fun infused hormones.
- Any embryos you have left get frozen for future use, hopefully... or to dash your hopes against the rocks 3 years later.