This week turned out to be harder than last week, which makes me feel like patting myself on the back, but I know I can be greener, so I won't be too proud.
Mamazen's UNGREEN THIRTEEN
1. I eat meat. I was a vegetarian for a long time, but once I added meat back into my diet I felt healthier and had many less allergy problems. Health won. I choose only local/organic so as to decrease our impact on the environment, but I still know it's huge.
2. I (like Lee) LOVE a long hot shower. Some days it's the only time i have to 'myself', as Ruby tends to just run around the upstairs while I shower, reading books and playing.
3. I drive more often than I should. I do drive a hybrid, and I try as often as possible to combine trips, but still I could do better. My husband bikes to work, but I can't do that...as there aren't showers at my office, and besides, i'm a horrible cyclist!
4. I (like Lee) LOVE shoes. I prefer leather over man made, as they last longer and don't end up in a landfill in a year, but still, I should probably own less. ( i say as I look at new boots...)
5. I don't compost. We are hoping that this will be remedied this spring, but with the basement remodel, who knows if we'll get it done.
6. I love to travel. We fly many times a year, to visit family, friends, and to vacation. It's the least green thing you can do. We do offset out carbon emissions tho, so I'm trying.
7. Our house is old and drafty, and could be better insulated. we keep the heat relatively low (68 tops, but usually 66 during the day, and 60 at night) but it's cool within minutes of the heat shutting off. We cozy up under blankets while watching movies, and reading, and wear layers, but we should get new windows, and better insulation.
8. I use my dryer way too much. In the warmer months I hung 80% of our laundry to dry out side, but in the wet months it takes SO LONG to dry stuff inside. I should be more patient!
9. Processed foods. We don't eat a ton of them, but there are a few that we should part with. I am a sugar lover... sigh, sugar, my friend, my enemy!
10. We get way too much junk mail. this needs to be remedied. period.
11. Our downspouts aren't disconnected. They were, but then our basement flooded... which sucked. We should find a better way to deal with our rain water... like barrels. :)
12. My kids conception was expensive and probably hell on the environment, and her siblings will be too. Ruby was an IVF baby, lots of drugs and expense. I'd say i feel guilty about this, but nope. I don't. it's the only way I'd get to have a baby, so be it.
13. I knit with wool yarn, that isn't always organic. :shrug: I'm reaching here, folks.
So there you go. What can I say? I'm only human. :) but I'm trying!